for early jazz and swing
The Syncopation Society is a music collective which identifies with a new movement focusing on early American music such as swing, hot jazz, and blues with connections in both Europe and the U.S., particularly in New Orleans. This fall we are organising the festival “Are You Syncopated?!” (27.09 – 01.10.2023) where we present our rich music scene and explore dance, music and culture. – Read more.
In the early 2000s, the landscape of the Berlin underground was brash and broad. A new generation of swing bands came on the scene, springing from the street and squat culture. These bands have grown alongside a young swing dance community over the years, now part of a worldwide trend.
We support musicians who share our dedication to early jazz by providing booking, distribution, and label services. We also provide musical education in these specific styles to keep this music alive and relevant. In this regard, we believe that jazz, and all music derived from blues, has its roots in, and is indeed the creation of, African-American culture. As musicians, we deeply feel the need to give recognition to the creators of the music we perform, the world they lived in, and the struggles they faced personally and professionally due to systemic racism.
We have several projects and keep the public informed about events, music releases, tours, etc. Sign up for the newsletter to be informed about all our projects and events.
- Again this fall “Are You Syncopated?!” will celebrate the diversity of the swing with a rich program of music, dance, and discussion.
- A residency for female musicians in Berlin dedicated to early jazz, swing, and the importance of female musicians and composers.
- The album has been acclaimed received from the German press ( Jazzstetik rated the album ★★★★☆, WESTZEIT and Zeitzeichen have been particularly enthusiastic about the album complimenting both the performance and the song curation)
- Four grand nights of music and dance in the realm of early jazz!
- Meschiya Lake is coming out of the pandemic with a sunny song announcing her upcoming album “Looking the World Over”.
& event curation
We organise jam sessions and concerts. We provide the same booking services for clubs, parties, festivals, private and corporate events.
We have access to recording studios and professional engineers to produce music. We then work closely with Sungroove Records to bring out and promote new releases.
& social projects
We are seeking to introduce early jazz to everyone, including children and teenagers. We also offer tutorials and music lessons in old-time jazz with musicians from our scene.
Jazz singer and teacher, Nina is responsible for the administration and public institutions. She also focuses on gender and diversity in Jazz in the Syncopation Society.
Double bass player and drummer in early jazz, François coordinates all the projects. He’s also lead producer at the Nadanadi Studio and leading the Syncopation Society Orchestra.
Florent is a versatile saxophonist and clarinetist who federates the scene. He takes care of the mediation and overall communication of the Syncopation Society.